Wednesday 26 May 2010

The Real Thing



We saw The Real Thing at the Old Victoria Theater. It was fantastic. First of all, the play is written by Tom Stoppard, and if you don't know who that is, that's totally fine, but in the theater world he's a pretty big deal. He does excellent work. And the acting was also superb. Anyway, so the show was about relationships (of course.. it seems that everything is about those...) but it looked at it from a different point of view. What is real to you? Your house? Your Family? Your relationship? Is it real? Or is it only your perception of reality? The whole stage was inside a giant picture frame asking, in my opinion, this very question. Love is something you choose to have in your life. Something you choose to keep. Love doesn't just fall into your lap. "real" love is something that you constantly work on. Something you choose to have in your life everyday. Something that you have decided is worth the constant effort.

Anyway, the show was great. It was hard to watch at times. It had adultery, cheating, secret love, open marriages... etc. But you know... it showed the effects of these life styles on the people who lived this way. It showed the pain.

Here are some notes and quotes from the show that I wrote down, hope you like them like I did.
*"He's a snob. He likes pop music but he's too embarrassed to say so."
*"It moves me. The way real music is supposed to move normal people."
*"It's only a couple of marriages, and a child. What's the big deal?"
*"That's what life is about. Not having all the answers."
*"Will you still love me when my tits are droopy? Of course love, it's your bum I'm hot for."
*"You don't care enough to care."
*"You don't love me the way I love you."
*"He's not writing to compete. He's writing to be heard."
*"I love you. I'm your best pal. Your my best mate."
*"Don't I count?"
*"There's nothing really there. Never was. Only your perception."
*"When it's gone, [love] everything is pain."
*"There's no trick loving someone at best. It's loving them at their worst."
*"Please don't let your feelings for me fade. I need you. They won't will they?"
*"To marry one actress is unfortunate. To marry a second is just asking for it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment